Easy cleaning surfaces are key for busy families. Reduce maintenance and clean up time by installing quartz surfaces which resists stains and is more forgiving with impacts. Look for surfaces with a little texture, like honed quartz or concrete which will also resist fingerprints! If you have younger children consider ordering your countertops with gently rounded edges instead of sharp corners. And, stick with semi-gloss paint for your kitchen walls rather than flat to easily wipe away spaghetti sauce and dirty fingerprints.
If you have the space, combine a walk in pantry with a laundry room and utility sink to make it easier to power through your laundry while you cook!
A large kitchen island can multi-task as a meal prep station, dining area, homework spot, etc. So why not consider two islands? One in the cooking zone, can be exclusively for meal prep, while the other can be for dining, homework or a general gathering spot for family or guests. If you don’t have room for a second island, go with a banquette or breakfast nook. With a bench and chairs you can fit more people into a smaller amount of space.
Parents can use this area to plan menus with their children in view. Also consider incorporating charging stations hidden away in a cabinet or drawer, which will keep clutter off the countertops.
When planning appliances, add areas (away from the cooking zone) where family members can help themselves instead of bothering the cook.
Some ideas to consider:
- Separate refrigerated drawers (at kids height) for easy access to snacks and drinks
- A wine refrigerator to simplify entertaining
- A food warming drawer to keep side dishes hot, warm plates and cook food in batches
- Double dishwashers simplify cleanup (especially when entertaining) by having two dishwashers in separate areas. Kids can empty one dishwasher while mom is loading the other!
- Pet food storage bins incorporated into cabinetry. Also consider a pet feeding station built into the side of your island!
Hopefully these tips can help you design a family friendly kitchen that is not just beautiful, but also functional, practical and convenient.
Original post created by Marqet Group